The Greatest Fights of Manny Pacquiao

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cotto keeps focus on Clottey as Pacquiao comes calling


NEW YORK (AFP) - – Manny Pacquiao will be sitting at ringside to watch Miguel Cotto defend his welterweight crown Saturday against Ghana's Joshua Clottey, the Filipino superstar sizing up his potential next opponent.

Puerto Rican star Cotto, 33-1 with 27 knockouts, will face Clottey, 35-2 with 20 knockouts, on the eve of the annual Puerto Rican Day parade in New York - a date that has become a fight tradition for Cotto at Madison Square Garden.

Pacquiao is considered boxing's pound-for-pound champion after knocking out Britain's Ricky Hatton in the second round last month at Las Vegas.

"It was very good and a very strong moment for Pacquiao in that fight," Cotto said.

While fight fans hunger for a Pacquiao showdown against unbeaten US star Floyd Mayweather Jnr, who ends his retirement next month against Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez, it might be Cotto who climbs into the ring with "Pac-man" next.

"I cant tell you about anything the rest of the year or next year because I'm preparing for Clottey," Cotto said. "The only person I have on my mind right now is Joshua Clottey."

Pacquiao and Cotto each have Bob Arum as promoter while Mayweather has often worked with Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, which can offer veteran US fighter Shane Mosley as a possible next opponent if Pacquiao-Mayweather does not materialize quickly.

Clottey is a major obstacle in Cotto's path, however.

Cotto suffered his first loss last July to Mexico's Antonio Margarito but bounced back to win the lightly regarded World Boxing Organization crown, the one he risks Saturday, from Britain's Michael Jennings in February.

"It was good coming off my first loss," Cotto said. "After that fight I felt pretty good to be ready for this fight now. This fight is important.

"No matter what Joshua brings to the ring, I will be fine. If he wants to move, I am ready for him. If he wants to face me in the middle of the ring, I am ready for that, too.

"I don't know what's going to happen. The only thing I know is I am going to be the winner."

Clottey knows the crowd will be with Cotto.

"When I come to the ring I'm a very deaf guy. I see people but I don't hear what they're talking about," Clottey said. "I don't know how tough he's going to be, but anybody who chooses me to be the winner, they will win, because that's what I'm going to do. I will win the fight."

Clottey won the International Boxing Federation welterweight crown by beating US veteran Zab Judah last August but was stripped of the title in April for refusing to fight South African mandatory challenger Isaac Hlatshwayo in favor of Cotto.

Now Clottey figures if he defeats Cotto, he will have a place in the conversation about whom Pacquiao fights next.

"Cotto is going to fight Pacquiao if he wins - thats what Ive been hearing," Clottey said. "Cotto is going to get his. Even if he wins it is not going to be easy at all. Hes not going to be able to fight somebody else."

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment